Search This Blog

Food Friday



23 shared thoughts

The third Featured in Food Friday player is ....

Manang Kim of @ my tabletop with her post, Sun Tea.

This was the first time that I've heard of Sun Tea, and at first I thought it was a brand! Silly me! lol. Found out from this unique post of Manang Kim that she actually used the sun's 'power' to make this tea! I love drinking tea (usually the hot kind), so I just mght try this myself one of these days. What about you? If you want to learn something new today, then check her out!

--------------------------------------

This week's Food Friday post is ...uhm, something. I guess this can be categorized under soup, so I'll call it Meatballs, Mushroom, and Corn Soup. :D


I had my first taste of this soupy dish when my father cooked it for lunch eons ago. He used fresh corn kernels (corn was plentiful that time), straight from the cob, mixed it with ground pork, some salt, spices, and added lots of water. Pretty simple, really. The simple procedure, coupled with the delicious taste, made an impression on me. Actually, I love how my father cooks: everything is usually fast, easy, and delicious! But we're straying away from the topic, lol.

My father didn't add mushrooms, but I got the idea when I worked at a farm and the boys cooked their corn soup, which had wild mushrooms and some type of veggies in it. I forgot the name of the plant, but it was growing wild at the farm, together with the mushrooms. I tell you, eating it straight from the pot was highly recommended...it didn't stay full for long!

My recipe, though, is a combination of both dishes. Shot below are the main ingredients used:
  • mushrooms (you can use fresh or canned, and any type of mushroom will do), 
  • meatballs (seasoned it with salt, pepper, soy sauce, mixed herbs {basil, rosemary, and thyme}, minced garlic, and spanish paprika), 
  • ... and corn (fresh or canned, and any type will also do).


... i also added a carrot, but it was added late so it's not in the shot. :D

The procedure was fairly simple:

  • dump the corn in a pot with a bit of water (it was a bit thick for me), together with the meatballs. let it boil for a bit, then when the meatballs starts floating on top it's cooked.
  • i drained and sliced the straw mushrooms in half and then placed them in the pot together with the floating meatballs and corn.
  • found a carrot and added that too (diced). adjusted the taste (i added fish sauce).
  • after a couple of minutes it was done.


Fast, easy and am happy to say, we all loved it! :D

post for:


Reminder: Please link back here (you may use the Food Friday buttons located on the right sidebar) if you're playing... and don't forget to visit other players as well and leave them some comment love! thank you.♥




get the InLinkz code

23 shared thoughts:

Tina´s PicStory at: Fri Aug 12, 02:23:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Your stuff looks all yummy :) Today I have something very german for you :)

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 04:29:00 AM GMT+8 said...

thanks, Tina
...loved the dish that you prepared! sausage, onions, tomatoes, cheese, salt, papaya pepper, vingegar and oil mixed together sounds like a yummy partner with bread! perfect any time of the day! :)

say cheese at: Fri Aug 12, 05:01:00 AM GMT+8 said...

very yummy entry and superb post!

happy weekend!

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 05:17:00 AM GMT+8 said...

many thanks, Angi!
...avocados are my fave! your post had me craving for them!

Kelsey Ann at: Fri Aug 12, 08:30:00 AM GMT+8 said...

rosemary and thyme are so perfect with meatballs. oooooo how i have fallen in love with having meatballs for dinner again- these look outrageously delicious!

xoxo

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 10:17:00 AM GMT+8 said...

many thanks, Kelsey! :)

Oggi at: Fri Aug 12, 10:25:00 AM GMT+8 said...

I love it! Will remember to make some when the temperature here gets cooler.

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 10:36:00 AM GMT+8 said...

thanks, Ms Oggi
...we had this when my stock on fresh veggies were running low. lol.
...and i love the mini donuts that you posted!

happy weekend! :)

Unknown at: Fri Aug 12, 12:37:00 PM GMT+8 said...

wow, will try that too:)

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 01:54:00 PM GMT+8 said...

thanks, Vhen
...yup, try it. madali lang. i hope your family also likes corn and mushrooms. :)

happy weekend! :)

Unknown at: Fri Aug 12, 02:33:00 PM GMT+8 said...

hmmmn, this would make a deliciously warm ulam for a rainy night>;p

Unknown at: Fri Aug 12, 02:34:00 PM GMT+8 said...

oh, b the way, i love our new header photo, and the John Lennon quote. i enjoy wasting time these days.:p

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 03:17:00 PM GMT+8 said...

thanks, LM
...yup, this dish is wonderful on cold nights.
...me too, love the quote!...but am just finding an excuse to waste time...lol.

Jenn at: Fri Aug 12, 04:32:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Uy... I love the new header!
(hehehe, big Lennon fan here)

Ako rin, akala ko brand yung Sun Tea. :) As for your soup, I'd include that in my meal plan - I feel that even if I cut back on food, I still am not eating a healthy and balanced meal.

maiylah at: Fri Aug 12, 05:46:00 PM GMT+8 said...

thanks, Jenn
...hehe, Lennon fan ka pala!
...same here, am trying to eat healthy and that includes reducing the amount...which is way hard! lol.

happy weekend!
will try to join your WE again this Monday!

Anonymous at: Fri Aug 12, 07:39:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Ang sarap! I always love having corn soup for appetizer when eating out, pero I like this one. :) Weekday Potluck starts every Tuesday afternoon, but I'm still thinking about changing the time to a more convenient one.

Heather S-G at: Fri Aug 12, 08:57:00 PM GMT+8 said...

That soup sounds amazing...love the combination of flavors. Thanks so much for hosting...as usual, my picture doesn't show up (for some reason inLinkz doesn't like me).

Kim, USA at: Fri Aug 12, 09:45:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hello!! Thanks for featuring here I really do appreciate it. And I like your "sun power" I didn't think of that lol!! Which is basically what we do soak it under the sun ^_^ And it saves electric bills you don't have to boil water just to make a cup of tea lol!! Anybody could try it, I am addicted to it na.
About your soup I will surely make this one specially we are starting to feel a bit cold here. And fresh corn is abundant now. Thanks again and here is my entry for this week...

Grapes

Jay-agent112778 at: Sat Aug 13, 01:39:00 AM GMT+8 said...

i want to try this one, good thing i still have more corn kernels in the fridge. thanx for sharing this to us.

maiylah at: Sat Aug 13, 08:59:00 AM GMT+8 said...

thanks, Pearl
...ok, will remember that! will join your meme again this coming Tuesday! :)

thanks, Heather
...am so sorry to know that InLinkz seems to be giving you problems...i also experience the same thing with another linky, i think it's linkytools. am so happy that your post this time managed to push through! loved your fish dish!

thanks, Manang Kim
...a pleasure featuring you this week!
...lucky you to be having an abundant supply of fresh corns there! tweak the recipe to your heart's content! :)

thanks, Jay
...yeah, it's easy and my family loves it!

many thanks again, foodies!
have a wonderful weekend! ♥

Julie at: Sat Aug 13, 01:57:00 PM GMT+8 said...

That looks yummy, especially with warm bread :)

am late but I'm here, Happy Sunday!

try mo yung entry ko, it's near where you are

maiylah at: Sat Aug 13, 03:14:00 PM GMT+8 said...

thanks, T. Julie
...nope, not yet late. :P
...oo nga, have heard good reviews about that restaurant. noon ko pa gusto kumain dyan, but i always forget.lol. but i will definitely eat there one of these days. :)

many thanks for taking time to play again, T. Julie
enjoy the rest of the weekend!

ps. di pa Sunday ngayon...Saturday pa lang. :)

Laura at: Sat Aug 13, 10:36:00 PM GMT+8 said...

What a great foodie hop ...nice idea. Thanks for linking up for Footloose and Fancy Free!

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post